What is considered a Slip and Fall Injury?
If you have suffered from a slip and fall injury in Irvine, CA, there are several factors to take into consideration. Specifically, if the injury was caused by the property owner’s negligence or their negligence contributed to your injury, you can receive compensation for your damages and costs.
What are some common causes of Slip and Fall in Irvine, CA?
Slips and falls are more common than what most people think. Specifically, over 800,000 people in California are hospitalized for slip and fall each year. Some common causes of slip and fall that shows the property owner’s negligence includes, but is not limited to
- Wet or slippery floors: Floors can be problematic to walk over if there are leaks or spills that puts the individual in danger.
- Uneven or damaged floors: Floors that are damaged that is not fixed in a timely manner can be dangerous to individuals taking that route.
- Obstruction of path: Common obstacles include loose cables or broken furniture that an individual can trip and fall.
- Lack of warnings: Many construction sites are roped off for this reason and the same can be said for “wet floor” signs. When there are known hazards present, there should be warning signs expressing that an individual may encounter.
What are some important dates and timeline for a Slip and Fall lawsuit in Irvine, CA?
In California, the statue of limitations details until when the lawsuit can be filled. For instance, under California Code of Civil Procedure section 335.1, there is a two year deadline for compensation for injury or death due to wrongful neglect of common slip and fall causes. If you are seeking compensation for damage to property, there is a three year deadline for repair and replacement under California Code of Civil Procedure section 338.
There are some expectations if the lawsuit is filed against the government. Specifically, an administrative claim is filed within six months of the injury. The government will then have 45 days to approve or deny the claim. If denied, a lawsuit can be filed within six months of the denial of claim. If the government does not approve or deny the claim (i.e., does not respond to the claim at all), a lawsuit can be filed within the standard two years under statue of limitations.
Our Irvine Personal Injury Lawyers Represent Clients In The Following Practice Areas:
- Brain Injury
- Bicycle Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Hotel, Resort & Vacation Injuries
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Device Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Premise Liability
- Turo Accidents
- Uber/Lyft Accidents
What basic requirements should be met for a Slip and Fall lawsuit in Irvine, CA?
There are four main criteria that must be met to recover damages from slip and fall injury
- The defendant was in control of the property where the injury took place
- The defendant was negligent based on the lack of maintenance or misuse of their property
- The plaintiff was injured on the property
- The defendant’s negligence was the cause of the plaintiff’s injury
With these four criteria met, you can seek compensation for your injuries or the repair value/replacement of property damages. One of the important parts to take into account is what counts as negligence. The defendant can be negligent in multiple ways. The defendant can be considered liable for injury if their property posed unreasonable risk of harm. Furthermore, the defendant is liable if they knew or should have known that a hazard was present. Finally, they can be liable for injury by failing to repair, barricade, or warn the hazards that lead to the slip and fall injury.
What damages are covered under slip and fall in Irvine, CA?
Common damages that you may have suffered from includes, but are not limited to
- Medical bills: Medical treatment can be expensive and often times are not one-time treatments. As a result, compensation can include both past and future medical treatment. Medical treatments also can mean rehabilitation, equipment, and medication.
- Emotional distress: There can be emotional and psychological pain/suffering due to the injury. Compensation can include these damages for the pain and suffering that was experienced from the injury and post-injury.
- Loss of wages or earnings: injuries can prevent an individual from working, thus losing their main sources of income or wage.
There can also be exemplary damages that can be covered if the defendant’s negligence led to a severe injury or even death. Additionally, if the defendant intentionally hides or discard evidence of their liability, exemplary damages, also referred to as punitive damages, for a slip and fall might be recoverable.
Evidence that can be used to prove defendant’s liability
A key aspect of a slip and fall case in California is showing clear evidence of defendant’s liability. Evidence that can be helpful for the case can include video footage of where the injury took place, witness testimony that indicates the defendant’s liability, expert testimony on accident reconstruction, and medical treatment notes for the injury.
However, the defendant will try to prove that you had some liability. Some claims can include
- Plaintiff was not supposed to or expected to be on the property where the accident took place.
- Plaintiff did not do their due diligence to avoid injury. This could mean that the plaintiff did not pay attention to their path or was preoccupied/distracted.
- The plaintiff neglected warnings or barriers that indicated a hazard or hazardous area.
- Clothing and shoes were inappropriate/unsafe on the property
- The danger was obvious
- Injury was on purpose or due to alternate causes (i.e., drug or alcohol use)
California follows “pure comparative negligence,” meaning that the plaintiff can file for compensation for damages that they were not liable for. Under the pure comparative negligence rule, the court will be able to determine how much compensation you are entitled to based on your own percentage of fault. The court reduces plaintiff’s recovery based on his/her own percentage fault.
What should I do if I have suffered from Slip and Fall injury in Irvine, CA?
If you are in need of medical assistance, seek immediate medical attention. If you are able to collect any evidence at the scene of the injury, take as many photos/videos and physical evidence that can show the property owner’s negligence. You can also collect contact information of any potential witnesses.
Be sure to report the incident to the property owner so that they can file an incident report. You can also request security footage that captured the incident and the surrounding areas.
We highly recommend that you contact Alipour Law Group for expert legal assistance at https://asl.law/ before signing documents or making any statements. Our lawyers are ready to assist you with slip and fall injuries in Irvine.
How Can We Help?
While seeking immediate medical attention should be your first priority, it is essential that you seek legal advise too. If you have suffered Slip and Fall injuries it should not be your responsibility to pay for your medical costs. We understand the extent of pressure that our clients experience after a Slip and Fall injury. Our experienced Irvine personal injury attorneys can help you recover your past and future medical costs, lost earning from your job, emotional distress, pain and suffering, and in some cases punitive damages to punish the responsible person, while you focus on recovering your health.
CONTACT US TODAY FOR A FREE CASE EVALUATION.
California Statue of Limitations
- California Code of Civil Procedure section 335.1: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CCP§ionNum=335.1
- California Code of Civil Procedure section 338: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CCP§ionNum=338
I would highly recommend Matt! He is very knowledgeable and responds quickly. If you have any questions, he will be able to give you a detailed answer and prioritize your interests.
Finding the right attorney can be a challenging process. After speaking with Matt, I felt confident with his approach and advices. The process took way shorter than expected, and this was a big achievement. Highly recommended!
If Google had a option to add starts, then I would definitely go with 10 stars!! great performance and customer service. All were professional and courteous. Above & totally beyond. I highly recommend Matt to everyone.
I had a great experience with Alipour Law Group. Matt is so aware about what he is doing and so commitment about what he is promising to you. He is so knowledgeable, and I would definitely work with him again.
If I will be ask from 1-10 rating I will give 11 to Alipour Law Group, APC. Specifically to very smart Atty. Matt for being prompt in delivering feedback and giving his extra effort to help me. He has a good attitude and very responsive in dealing my needs and
I've had a great experience with Alipour Law Group. Matt is very knowledgeable and easy to reach out and communicate with. The level of his professionalism and dedication working on my case was very important to me. He helped me with getting the best outcome. I highly recommend him and
First and foremost, I just want to say thank you to Alipour Law Group and the Attorney Matt Alipour for helping me with my legal issue! Not only he was responsive when I would call with questions and concerns, but he would take his time to explain things to me
When I took my case to Alipour Law Group, I was almost sure that there is nothing that any attorney could do for me. I met with Matt once and explained my case. I was surprised that Matt was able to take care of my case in such a short
Latest blog posts
How the Advancements in Technology and Medicine Can Help Build Stronger California Personal Injury Cases
At the Alipour Law Group, APC, our Irvine personal injury attorney, Matt Alipour, also holds a degree in biomedical engineering, which integrates traditional engineering and technology principles with fundamental knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of...Read More
How Professional Research, Development, and Manufacturing Experience Can Help Pinpoint Vehicle Defects in California Lemon Law Cases
Matt Alipour, the founder of the Alipour Law Group, APC, is more than a California lemon law attorney, he is also a biomedical engineer. When our clients purchase a defective vehicle, they are entitled to a...Read More