What are motorcycle accidents?
With more teenagers and younger adults attracted to motorcycles, there has been a rise of motorcycle accidents. Specifically, nearly 5,000 motorcyclists in Orange County died from accidents. Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents can happen on roads as well as highways. As motorcycle accidents are 26 times more likely compared to a passenger car, motorcycle accidents are more common than what you might think. If you were injured in a motorcycle accident in Irvine because of another driver’s negligence, you are entitled to compensation.
What are some common causes of motorcycle injuries in Irvine, CA?
- Driving while using smartphones: as technology has increasingly been integrated into modern transportation, many accidents occur with motorcycles due to distractions. Similarly, motor cyclists can be in danger of accidents if they are not aware of their surroundings due to technology use
- Driving past the speed limit: Many cars on the road and freeways go past the speed limit. As a result, they may not be able to slow down in time for motorcycles in their lane.
- Driving under the influence: Drivers can be impaired due to alcohol use or other drug use. In fact, nearly 30% of motorcycle fatalities were result of impaired driving. Recently, with the legalization of Cannabis in many states, there has been a rise in DUI. It is important to note that even if a drug is legalized, does not permit drivers to operate a vehicle under the influence.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving often leads to unintended accidents as the vehicle goes out of control. Reckless driving can include unnecessarily weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating. It is important to note that California allows lane splitting, where motorcycles can drive in between lanes in stopped or slow traffic. Similarly, it is the driver’s responsibility to determine if they are capable of driving, especially if they feel fatigued or emotionally unstable.
- Poor weather and road conditions: Traction on roads are important for motorcycles as they can easily slip out of control. Similarly, poor road conditions can lead to debris flying upwards or spin the motorcycle out of control. Some of the hazards that a cyclists can encounter are potholes, uneven payment, and barriers/items on the road.
- Improper protective gear: motorcyclists should wear protective gear such as their helmet (DOT-approved) and leather clothing to minimize the injuries when in an accident.
- Motorcycle malfunction and defect: Motorcycles, just like any other motor vehicles, are prone to manufacture defects and reclass. While it is important to follow recall notices, it is the manufacture’s responsibility to notify owners of the defect and provide remedy of the issue.
While these are only some of the common causes for injuries, there are many other cases that can qualify under personal injuries.
Our Irvine Personal Injury Lawyers Represent Clients In The Following Practice Areas:
- Brain Injury
- Bicycle Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Hotel, Resort & Vacation Injuries
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Device Injuries
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Premise Liability
- Slip and Fall Injuries
- Uber/Lyft Accidents
What damages are covered under motorcycle injuries in Irvine, CA?
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents can be life-threatening. Common damages that you may have suffered from includes, but are not limited to
- Medical bills: Medical treatment can be expensive and often times are not one-time treatments. As a result, compensation can include both past and future medical treatment. Medical treatments also can mean rehabilitation, equipment, and medication. Some of the common injuries include:
- Broken bones: collision from a car, even if the car was driving at the speed limit, is enough to break bones in a pedestrian’s legs, arms, etc. It can take several weeks to even months to recover. In sever cases, victims can suffer permanent disabilities and disfigurement from amputations and burns.
- Spinal cord injuries: spinal cord injuries lead to many motorcyclists to lose the ability to control certain parts of their body. Specifically, a spinal cord damage below the waist can lead to the inability to move body parts below the waist. If victims are fortunate enough with the treatment, they may be able to go through rehabilitation but for many victims, they may never be able to walk again.
- Brain trauma: motorcycle accidents often cause cyclists to fall on their head or skull with extreme force. Even with proper protective gear on, collisions and injuries at fast speeds can be fatal. While minor injuries can include small fractures, it can lead to serious injuries such as facial disfigurement, physical or cognitive impairment, and death.
- Internal bleeding: While many injuries can be easily identifiable, some are not that obvious. Collisions can lead to internal organs or blood vessels to rupture. If not treated immediately, it can lead to organ failure.
- Expenses: If there were costs that were out of pocket, it can be included for compensation
- While it can be unfortunate, some pedestrians will not survive their injuries. As a result, expenses for burials and funerals can be filed.
- Emotional and psychological distress: There can be emotional and psychological pain/suffering due to the injury. Compensation can include these damages for the pain and suffering that was experienced from the injury and post-injury. Furthermore, some injuries can have lasting impacts, such as a permanent scar or losing the ability to walk, which can be hard to recover emotionally.
- Loss of wages or earnings: injuries can prevent an individual from working, thus losing their main sources of income or wage.
- Loss of Consortium: This can include one’s ability to have children or depravation of relations due to injury
Evidence that can be collected and used to prove at-fault driver’s negligence
There are several pieces of information that can be helpful to the case. For instance, it is important for the cyclists to call the Irvine police for an accident report. This allows a physical and official record of the accident that proves the incident took place. Additionally, this can confirm that the injuries were from the recorded accident.
Furthermore, it is helpful to take pictures of your injuries, the scene of the accident, as well as any other damages that are relevant. Within those picture, include a copy of the at-fault driver’s license, his/her insurance card, and the license plate. Contact information can be vital to reach out to eyewitnesses as they can confirm any claims you made about the accident and injuries.
Additionally, even if there were only minor injuries, it is important to visit a doctor to have a medical evaluation. The doctor can determine any injuries that are present and caused by the accident, and can record what treatments are required.
What should I do if I have suffered from motorcycle injury in Irvine?
If you are in need of medical assistance, seek immediate medical attention. If you are able to collect any evidence at the scene of the injury, take as many photos/videos and physical evidence as detailed above.
Be sure to report the incident to the police or public agency in charge so that they can file an incident report. You can also request security footage that captured the incident and the surrounding areas.
We highly recommend that you contact Alipour Law Group for expert legal assistance at https://asl.law/ before signing documents or making any statements. Our lawyers are ready to assist you with motorcycle accidents in Irvine, CA.
How Can We Help?
While seeking immediate medical attention should be your first priority, it is essential that you seek legal advise too. If you have suffered motorcycle injuries, it should not be your responsibility to pay for your medical costs. We understand the extent of pressure that our clients experience after a motorcycle injury. Our experienced Irvine personal injury attorneys can help you recover your past and future medical costs, lost earning from your job, emotional distress, pain and suffering, and in some cases punitive damages to punish the responsible person, while you focus on recovering your health.
CONTACT US TODAY FOR A FREE CASE EVALUATION.
I would highly recommend Matt! He is very knowledgeable and responds quickly. If you have any questions, he will be able to give you a detailed answer and prioritize your interests.
Finding the right attorney can be a challenging process. After speaking with Matt, I felt confident with his approach and advices. The process took way shorter than expected, and this was a big achievement. Highly recommended!
If Google had a option to add starts, then I would definitely go with 10 stars!! great performance and customer service. All were professional and courteous. Above & totally beyond. I highly recommend Matt to everyone.
I had a great experience with Alipour Law Group. Matt is so aware about what he is doing and so commitment about what he is promising to you. He is so knowledgeable, and I would definitely work with him again.
If I will be ask from 1-10 rating I will give 11 to Alipour Law Group, APC. Specifically to very smart Atty. Matt for being prompt in delivering feedback and giving his extra effort to help me. He has a good attitude and very responsive in dealing my needs and
I've had a great experience with Alipour Law Group. Matt is very knowledgeable and easy to reach out and communicate with. The level of his professionalism and dedication working on my case was very important to me. He helped me with getting the best outcome. I highly recommend him and
First and foremost, I just want to say thank you to Alipour Law Group and the Attorney Matt Alipour for helping me with my legal issue! Not only he was responsive when I would call with questions and concerns, but he would take his time to explain things to me
When I took my case to Alipour Law Group, I was almost sure that there is nothing that any attorney could do for me. I met with Matt once and explained my case. I was surprised that Matt was able to take care of my case in such a short
Latest blog posts
How the Advancements in Technology and Medicine Can Help Build Stronger California Personal Injury Cases
At the Alipour Law Group, APC, our Irvine personal injury attorney, Matt Alipour, also holds a degree in biomedical engineering, which integrates traditional engineering and technology principles with fundamental knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of...Read More
How Professional Research, Development, and Manufacturing Experience Can Help Pinpoint Vehicle Defects in California Lemon Law Cases
Matt Alipour, the founder of the Alipour Law Group, APC, is more than a California lemon law attorney, he is also a biomedical engineer. When our clients purchase a defective vehicle, they are entitled to a...Read More