What are construction accidents?
As more buildings and facilities are constructed, accidents can be common, yet serious. Even though many construction workers may be protected under worker’s compensation insurance, it may not be enough to cover the damages and suffering that the workers endured. Furthermore, there has been a rise of construction accidents in the past few years, amounting to over 300 casualties. As a result, if you experienced a construction accident in or near Irvine because of a third-party’s negligence, you are entitled to compensation.
What are some common causes of construction accidents in Irvine, CA?
- Falling Objects: during construction, many objects and tools are secured onto the construction sites. However, poorly secured objects can fall from high places, leading to fatal injuries. It is the responsibility of the construction site and members to ensure the safety of their surroundings.
- Falls: one of the most common accidents on construction sites are falls. Specifically, buildings can range from single-story buildings to skyscrapers. As a result, falls from high places such as from ladders, roofs, or machines can be extremely dangerous. It is the responsibility of the company to ensure there are fall protection for workers
- Machinery: Construction workers often use and work with dangerous equipment and machines that can easily cut off or crush limbs. Additionally, workers can get trapped between equipment which can be fatal. There is heavy equipment such as cranes and forklifts which are also a hazard in the construction sites.
- Collapses: During construction, poor building structures can unfortunately lead to building collapses. Additionally, machines and equipment can collapse after extended use which can lead to sever injury of workers nearby.
- Electrocutions: Construction workers are not only exposed to building material and machines, but also electric wires to complete the building. As a result, exposed electric wires can lead to electrocutions without the proper care and storage of wires.
- Tools: Many power tools such as saws, drills, nail guns, and welding machines can be dangerous if not used properly. Even if the equipment is properly handled, equipment malfunction can lead to fatal injuries.
- Training: Whether it is for equipment, gear, or procedures, it is the company’s responsibility to give proper training for workers to ensure their safety. Additionally, there should be clear protocols that the workers can refer to and follow. All these protocols should abide by the safety and health administration regulations.
While these are only some of the common causes for injuries, there are many other cases that can qualify under personal injuries.
What damages are covered under construction injuries under California Law?
Unfortunately, construction accidents can be life-threatening. Common damages that you may have suffered from includes, but are not limited to
- Medical bills: Medical treatment can be expensive and often are not one-time treatments. As a result, compensation can include both past and future medical treatment. Medical treatments also can mean rehabilitation, equipment, and medication. Some of the common injuries include:
- Broken bones: falling objections in construction sites and falls can take several weeks to even months to recover. In severe cases, victims can suffer permanent disabilities and disfigurement from amputations and burns.
- Spinal cord injuries: spinal cord injuries lead to many workers to lose the ability to control certain parts of their body. Specifically, a spinal cord damage below the waist can lead to the inability to move body parts below the waist. If victims are fortunate enough with the treatment, they may be able to go through rehabilitation but for many victims, they may never be able to walk again.
- Brain trauma: Construction workers can experience falls or objects falling on their head with extreme force. Even with proper protective gear on, collisions and injuries at extreme heights can be fatal. While minor injuries can include small fractures, it can lead to serious injuries such as facial disfigurement, physical or cognitive impairment, and death.
- Internal bleeding: While many injuries can be easily identifiable, some are not that obvious. falls can lead to internal organs or blood vessels to rupture. If not treated immediately, it can lead to organ failure.
- Expenses: If there were costs that were out of pocket, it can be included for compensation
- While it can be unfortunate, some pedestrians will not survive their injuries. As a result, expenses for burials and funerals can be filed.
- Emotional and psychological distress: There can be emotional and psychological pain/suffering due to the injury. Compensation can include these damages for the pain and suffering that was experienced from the injury and post-injury. Furthermore, some injuries can have lasting impacts, such as a permanent scar or losing the ability to walk, which can be hard to recover emotionally.
- Loss of wages or earnings: injuries can prevent an individual from working, thus losing their main sources of income or wage.
- Loss of Consortium: This can include one’s ability to have children or depravation of relations due to injury
Who can be liable for construction injuries in Irvine?
- Property Owner: property owners can be liable for construction injuries. For instance, if they knew of damaged or dangerous hazards on the property but failed to relay that information, they can be liable for damages.
- Construction company: the company may be liable for injuries of their workers. The company should ensure the worker’s safety through proper training, protocols, and regulations. Companies are most likely the party liable for injuries of its workers or parties injured on the construction site.
- Manufactures: since workers interact with a lot of machines, its manufactures can be liable for damages from defects.
Evidence that can be collected and used to prove negligence
There are several pieces of information that can be helpful to the case. For instance, it is important for the injured party to call the Irvine police for an accident report. This allows a physical and official record of the accident that proves the incident took place. Additionally, this can confirm that the injuries were from the recorded accident.
Furthermore, it is helpful to take pictures of your injuries, the scene of the accident, as well as any other damages that are relevant. Within those pictures, include a copy of the at-fault owner, company, or manufacturer’s contact information. Contact information can be vital to reach out to eyewitnesses as they can confirm any claims you made about the accident and injuries.
Additionally, even if there were only minor injuries, it is important to visit a doctor to have a medical evaluation. The doctor can determine any injuries that are present and caused by the accident, and can record what treatments are required.
What should I do if I have suffered from construction injury in Irvine, CA?
If you are in need of medical assistance, seek immediate medical attention. If you are able to collect any evidence at the scene of the injury, take as many photos/videos and physical evidence as detailed above.
Be sure to report the incident to the police or public agency in charge so that they can file an incident report. You can also request security footage that captured the incident and the surrounding areas.
We highly recommend that you contact Alipour Law Group for expert legal assistance at https://asl.law/ before signing documents or making any statements. Our lawyers are ready to assist you with construction accidents in Irvine.
I would highly recommend Matt! He is very knowledgeable and responds quickly. If you have any questions, he will be able to give you a detailed answer and prioritize your interests.
Finding the right attorney can be a challenging process. After speaking with Matt, I felt confident with his approach and advices. The process took way shorter than expected, and this was a big achievement. Highly recommended!
If Google had a option to add starts, then I would definitely go with 10 stars!! great performance and customer service. All were professional and courteous. Above & totally beyond. I highly recommend Matt to everyone.
I had a great experience with Alipour Law Group. Matt is so aware about what he is doing and so commitment about what he is promising to you. He is so knowledgeable, and I would definitely work with him again.
If I will be ask from 1-10 rating I will give 11 to Alipour Law Group, APC. Specifically to very smart Atty. Matt for being prompt in delivering feedback and giving his extra effort to help me. He has a good attitude and very responsive in dealing my needs and
I've had a great experience with Alipour Law Group. Matt is very knowledgeable and easy to reach out and communicate with. The level of his professionalism and dedication working on my case was very important to me. He helped me with getting the best outcome. I highly recommend him and
First and foremost, I just want to say thank you to Alipour Law Group and the Attorney Matt Alipour for helping me with my legal issue! Not only he was responsive when I would call with questions and concerns, but he would take his time to explain things to me
When I took my case to Alipour Law Group, I was almost sure that there is nothing that any attorney could do for me. I met with Matt once and explained my case. I was surprised that Matt was able to take care of my case in such a short
Latest blog posts
How the Advancements in Technology and Medicine Can Help Build Stronger California Personal Injury Cases
At the Alipour Law Group, APC, our Irvine personal injury attorney, Matt Alipour, also holds a degree in biomedical engineering, which integrates traditional engineering and technology principles with fundamental knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of...Read More
How Professional Research, Development, and Manufacturing Experience Can Help Pinpoint Vehicle Defects in California Lemon Law Cases
Matt Alipour, the founder of the Alipour Law Group, APC, is more than a California lemon law attorney, he is also a biomedical engineer. When our clients purchase a defective vehicle, they are entitled to a...Read More